10 TIPS FOR NEW HOMEOWNERS
Are you new to home ownership? Here at Trademark Realty we realize that home ownership may be a foreign concept for a lot of people, and we are familiar with some of the potential problems that come up when you are first settling in to a new home.
Which is where we come in. In addition to the list below, we have many tips and tools available on our website for homeowners. If you’re interested in learning more about trends in the local market or more on real estate in Bismarck, ND check out the Latest Listings.
If you have any questions about the information below, or about homes for sale in Bismarck, ND contact us right away! We are happy to help!
Loose toilet bowl handle?
- Shut off the water and drain the back of your toilet (flush twice)
- Remove the back cover and disconnect the wire/chain from the lift arm.
- Tighten the connection by placing the hook lower on the chain.
- Once reconnected and the water has been turned back on, the chain will have shortened bringing your flushing abilities back up to speed!
Unmanageable Power Cords? Organize your Items with a Shipping Tube!
- Measure the tube to fit your desk/work space, and then cut a slit along the length of the tube.
- You can tape the edges with duct tape to prevent scratching, and paint the tube using either spray paint or normal paint.
- As you’re preparing your tube, make sure to stretch the opening in to the tube.
- Once you are done decorating, place a power strip on the inside of the tube, and tuck in all of the cords as you plug away! Viola! A simple and easy way to stay organized, and hide messy desk cords!
Icky Sticky Stains in the Sink?
- Coffee mugs and smoothie dishes are only delicious until they have spent a week in your sink, and then they become enemies in the kitchen! Fight back odors and stains with this quick, easy, and eco-friendly cleaning hack.
- Simply rinse away any large crumbs, and dust your sink with a thick layer of baking soda. Let sit for a moment, then use a sponge to wipe any stains away.
- Rinse again. Then fill a dish with vinegar, and soak paper towels in the dish. Then place the wet towels on the sides of your sink and let soak.
- Meanwhile dump one cup of baking soda followed by one cup of vinegar, directly down the drain. Watch out for the reaction! Let the mixture fizz for a moment and then rinse with hot water.
- If you have a garbage disposal, place citrus peels down the drain and run the disposal for a moment. One finished, remove the paper towels, and rinse your sink once more.
- Not only will you have a squeaky clean sink, but you’ll also rid your kitchen of any stinky odors that were building up in the drain!
Do you Keep Dropping Loose Screws? Are You One Screw Away from Losing Your Mind?
- Hanging pictures from the walls can be a meticulous, time consuming procedure. It’s often hard enough deciding what to hang on the walls, but the process takes on a whole new level of frustration if you are struggling to keep a hold of your screws.
- Create your own magnetic screwdriver by simply placing a strong magnet on the side of your tool, near the tip.
- Your screws will magnetically stay in place!
Are you Struggling with Scuff Marks on your Walls?
- You may be in a situation where you’re having to pull nails from the walls of your home, and you may be struggling to do so without creating damage where there wasn’t any before. Scuff marks are ugly, and often hard to remove. Avoid the costly cleanup by preparing your tools for the process.
- Wrap a rubber band around the claw of the handle of your hammer and then cross the band in to an “x” shape. Continue to wrap the rubber band around the neck/face of the handle, and voilà!
- This will create a rubber barrier which will keep scuff marks away when you are removing loose nails!
Are you Planning on Painting? Poke Holes in your Paint Cans!
- Painting is not only a time consuming but expensive! Save a penny or two by poking holes in the rim of your paint can. This will allow any overflow to drip back into the can, saving you every possible drop.
No more AA batteries for your Emergency Flashlight?
- Place a ball of foil in to the battery’s negative terminal, then place two AAA batteries, and close regularly. Extend your flashlights battery life with this quick little hack!
Organize your Important Documents!
- Buy a waterproof binder, and place all of your important documents and legal documents in sheet protectors, including any emergency contacts and traveling documents you might need. Then seal each page with tape at the top!
- Now you can not only organize your documents, but also store them properly and avoid any damage that may occur over time.
Clogged Drain? Make your own Drain Cleaner with these Simple Ingredients.
- Mix 1 part salt with 1 part baking soda. Pour the mixture down the clogged drain and follow it up with a glass of warm vinegar and a pot of boiling water. The drain will work itself
Hands Free Measuring
- Attach a pencil to your measure tape using a binder clip! Simply place the pencil in the binder clip, and tuck the silver portion of the binder clip in to your measuring tape clip.
- Now you can simply lower your pencil to mark out your measurements.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us right away. We are happy to help in any way that we can. You can call our office directly at 701-223-3030.
This list was created off of a video made by Buzzfeed Nifty.