By: Dawn Leingang
Are you throwing money out the door? Did you know an average U.S. household spends about $2,200.00 a year on home energy, reports the Environmental Protection Agency. Roughly half of that goes to your heating and cooling. Here are several tips to help cut that cost while creating a more comfortable environment for you and your family.
1. Caulk around all windows.
2. Replace weather stripping and seals around doors.
3. Put up storm windows and doors.
4. Replace less efficient windows. Consider double-pane or triple-pane.
5. Replace less efficient doors with insulated doors.
6. Add insulation to your overhead garage door or replace with an insulted one.
7. Add insulation to your attic.
8. Replace your furnace filter.
9. Purchase a programmable thermostat. This would allow you to program your home for a cooler temperature when no one is home and a warmer temperature when occupied.
10. Add heavy drapes and rugs. FASHION MEETS FUNCTION!
I hope you can implement one or more of these tips or share them with friends and family. Even new construction can benefit from some of these tips. Happy Holidays from my family to you and yours. Stay warm!!
Attached is Dawn’s “Day in the Life” at Trademark Realty!